We've taken the heading for disaster, but at least the crew is the best possible. There's nothing quite like sinking with a ship full of the finest you can find.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Moving on to the recordings

So the worst is behind us. The boys heard the songs after Sami went wild on them. A no-holds-barred situation between Sarhamaa and the tunes had taken some of them a little far from the original idea, and not everything was agreed upon, but still no fist fights broke out and I think we will slowly but firmly achieve common ground.

The one with the most issues is probably going to be one of the oldest tunes, called Retreat, there was some major clipping done to it, and the guys felt it lacked the easygoing feeling it had before. The song just rolled over you, which is nice in some cases, but this time it might not be the right option to suit the song (Fuck, just lost my radiohit, hah!). As Retreat seems to be the one with the most opinions from everyone, we'll just leave it to simmer for now. Hopefully when we return to it during the summer, there's a compromise everyone can be satisfied with.

On the other hand a new tune called Kutteri was clipped from approx. 7:15 minutes to 5:20, and the bastard's working like never before! I've completely fallen in love with the song. If you ask me it's got a Jimi Hendrix vibe to it, that I dig wholeheartedly. And every cut was justified and almost immidiately approved, as the song now pushes forward like a train!

The only thing that we discussed after Sami had left the premises, was that the intro was cut a bit short. If the song is in the middle of the album , the intro needs to be short if you ask me, as we don't want the listener to leave for the fridge during it. BUT the other thought was, that the track might be the starter for the whole album, as it truly is one of the stronger tunes, and as a starter we might even want to drag the intro a little bit. No ones going to leave during the first 20-30 second of an album anyhow, so what the fuck, I don't see a problem with the band messing around a bit on the beginning of the album, just to get the listener ready for anything, because I already know that this is going to be an album where anything can and propably will happen.

So hopefully we're recording this one first, so I can get me some material to start promotion with. I've naturally got big plans on which way to take this whole shenanigans. Contacting possible foreign partners is something I will want and need to do asap. I/we hope to get two or three songs ready already in June/July so I can start working foreigners over. And we might even try our luck with some radio stations, altough the expectations aren't too high concerning those.

I think that's about it for now. And that was just two songs... We went through all of the ten, but no one propably wants to hear me blabber details about every one of them. Next up is signing the official deal. Mr. Kairinen is a business genious of somesort, so he's been laughing at our gentlemen's agreement that has propably got a bunch of holes in it. It seems though that the holes are in the bands advantage, as Tero has been agreeing to sign also. (We've finally got the sucker bowing to the man, a.k.a me!)

So we'll see when we can arrange the first recording session and inform the world about the official stuff, as we sail forward in this sea of cheese. Later.

2 comments:

Jani said...

On a side note. I said Sami had "effortlessly adopted" the songs. I heard later that it actually wasn't that effortless. The riff in Retreat seems to be a bitch to play, even though Perttu's view on the situation was "it's just a couple of chords strummed". Well, from atleast what I understood, Sami had to really work on it to get it even close, as he doubled some of the guitar tracks to make the beginning feel like a kick in the groin.

Sam Sara-Marsala said...

Yes, the riff is a bitch, no doubt. And not the only one of that kind, I might add. The guys have a nicely twisted view on things musical. Still, it was a blast to try to learn the stuff, sometimes I got it, sometimes I didn't. The listening session from my side of things was also slightly, how should I say, scary...I took a deep dive into the songs and some of the things I did were quite different from the expected. I stand behind everything I did though and am happy to report that most of the shit seemed to please the band. We're moving along to a great record, I feel certain of it.